tamil nadu which is specially made at the time of pongal festival.
Pongal has two verity one is sweet and other is very spicy. Pongal is usually made using the
first grown crop of the year which is offered to the lord telling him
to give more food throughout the year.
The following recipe is Sakkarai
Pongal which is the sweet version of Ghee Pongal, Its difficult to make but
easy to learn with our free recipe.
|Prepartion Timings (mins/hrs)
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 and a half cups
Green Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Jaggery (Finely powdered) or Sugar – 3 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Cashewnuts – 2 tbsp
Raisins – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 4 tbsp
- First heat the pan and add the Green Gram Dal and Stir it well
- Dry roast it on a medium flame till its smell dissolves.
- Keep the roasted Green Gram Dal aside
- Add Milk to Rice with water and mix it well
- Add the fried green gram dal to the rice mixture and put it inside a cooker
Dissolve the jaggery in water and cook on a low flame till it melts.
- Add the jaggery syrup on a pan and heat it till it becomes sticky
- Add cooked rice and green gram dal on the jaggery syrup with ghee
On the other hand, fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee
- Add to the roasted cashew nuts and raisins on top of pongal and Stir it well
- Now add the powdered cardamoms, cloves nutmeg and saffron on top and close the lid for few minutes
Mix the ingredients and serve it hot